Friday, June 29, 2007

On the other side of enjoying food...

My first two posts have been about eating good food, lotsa food. :)

Well for now this will be about making the good food.

The past week I baked two pastries I feel that I have fairly grasped the recipe. During the weekend, the "menu" was my WORLD FAMOUS CINNAMON ROLLS and BEST BROWNIES. I just made up the "world famous" part, but hey, I can compete with some famous rolls out there! But Is till have to develop my "quality control." It's not totally true that what I bake is a hit-or-miss type of pastry. Sure, I use measuring cups, spoons, and all those implements. But I still do not use these to measure exact quantities of the ingredients. What the heck, they still turn out.. from good to great (or may be a bit less than good, although I don't hear any feedback like those).

When I was a lot younger, Nanay was the one who baked. As the years passed by, Kuya tried his hand in baking. He made "masa" of pan de sal buns, white loaf bread... And then Ate became older and she herself baked cakes (hindi ako yeast person, she says). And then it was my turn.

I don't know if I was a late bloomer or something. This baking to me is really a recent interest, and not yet a hobby. Before it was just apple pie (no yeast!); now I also dared to do cinnamon rolls, brownies, pana cotta(?), scones...

But just like what a good friend of mine said about cooking, "cook with love." Ahh yes, I really don't bake or cook for myself: it's for someone else. And when I cook or beat the dough or whip the cream, I always hope that what results will be presentable and satisfying.

Anyway, the rolls are quite nice... Just have to maintain a good baking temperature... The oven at home is too efficient: you can't rely on the temperature guide 'coz the actual temp will be too high.

1 comment:

Baby Koji. said...

ICOY!!!! musta bro? Di ang taba mo na, kain na lang ba ng kain ginagawa mo? wala na ba soccer?

EMil